Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Does anyone have any ADULT hogs visiting which are not hibernating? Reply To: Does anyone have any ADULT hogs visiting which are not hibernating?

Nic

Hi Willpar, Hoglet and Igel

Thanks for your replies. I really meant adult hogs which had not hibernated at all, Igel, as opposed to those which may have emerged briefly, or those which have come out of hibernation early. Sorry I didn’t make myself clearer.

It seems that most hogs that do not hibernate at all are hoglets. Although it may be that they are just the ones which are mentioned more often. (which is what I would like to try to fnd out). But it isn’t only hoglets which may not lay down enough fat for hibernation. Sometimes the adults don’t either, only it’s probably less noticeable that they aren’t heavy enough (for their size). But it’s possible it’s those (that hadn’t got sufficient fat) which are coming out of hibernation early – and lucky that they have found someone to feed them. If we disregard hazards caused by humans, hibernation is one of the most dangerous times of a hog’s life. Some just may not wake up at all if they don’t have enough of the correct type of fat to wake themselves up.

The hog here who hasn’t hibernated is an adult and this is the second year she hasn’t hibernated. But what I am wondering, is whether she is an exception.

Good luck with all the rescues, hope they all do well.

Hedgehog