Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Small mammal road signs success Reply To: Small mammal road signs success

Hi Nic
Thanks for all the suggestions and link to this survey. I quoted everything I could and with supporting notes from neighbourhood folks, PTES and Yorkshire Wildlife Trust. Used this survey too, but sadly the only criteria Highways will accept is data confirming road traffic accidents involving humans and animals. So this survey, as interesting as it is, will not help support any application for the small mammal road signs.
I think it is unlikely that many roads will be suitable for the signs.
I’m going to write to PTES and BHPS as they were the organisations that met with the Transport Minister to discuss the signage.
All the neighbours on both sides of this main road are doing everything they can for hedgehog habitat and we have created highways to try to deter them crossing the road.
It’s no coincidence that the peak in hedgehog activity in July matches the height of the tourist season in NYorks and this main road is a very popular route out to the Yorkshire Dales from our small town, and caravan parks along the River Swale.
I honestly don’t think we can sustain our tiny local hedgehog population much longer, yet we have such a wonderful habitat for them.
I’m asking everyone I know to use the map and especially to report the dead ones this year.

Hedgehog