Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Strange behaviour Reply To: Strange behaviour

Hi Rob,
I can’t see your video, however I have seen hedgehogs regularly do this on camera and while observing in person. Interestingly I have seen both male and female hedgehogs do it and it does look a lot like scent marking. They like to do it on my gravel paths and stone patio. They will lower their chins and drag themselves along but only for a few moments.

In the hotter months I have seen them do similar where they will flatten themselves completely with their legs outstretched for a minute or two – this is to help them cool down and I believe I have seen some people call it ‘splatting’ or ‘pancaking’.

Hedgehog