Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Strange behaviour Reply To: Strange behaviour

Hi Nic/Rob,

Just to clarify the Hog I saw flattening itself was seen at night, not during the day and was a regular that I observed daily right up until hibernation. She only ‘splatted’ on really muggy evenings and she was eating and drinking as normal. I have a friend who is a vet and she told me it could be a cooling down mechanism. I do worry about any behaviour out of the norm so it is helpful to have a vet on hand to ask about these things! She often treats wild hogs and has a list of local carers on hand for advice.

It is fascinating to see all this behaviour. I wonder why hedgehogs are not more widely studied to help solve these mysteries!

Hedgehog