Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Badger mauling Reply To: Badger mauling

Hi Nic,

Thanks very much for coming back to me, it’s appreciated. 100% understand your logic and I’ve seen the same in other animals, (like foxes). Once they know where a good source is they’ll return. 5-6 years ago the same happened to a neighbour of mine and all of her hogs were killed. We didn’t know it was a badger at the time but now I’m pretty sure it was the same.
Fortunately there’s only one entrance to my garden that a badger can enter through and I’ve now sealed this up but at the weekend I’ll install a staggered Hedgehog entry that only they can get in and out should I get more Hedgehogs visiting in the future. I will take in the food as I understand your logic and hope some more return. The two hogs in the houses have definitely been out of hibernation (I know them well and where they live), they aren’t injured, there’s no blood trail and as you point out once it gets one it doesn’t get away often. I’ll let nature take its course and respect both animals, difficult as I find it in me to do so. Thanks again.

Hedgehog