Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Strange Hog Behaviour Reply To: Strange Hog Behaviour

Hi Nic,

Sorry no video but I do have a photo but I can’t find a way to attach it to this post so may have to try another route,

it wasn’t an excessive amount of straw and leaves but was obviously very intentional.

I think you are right about another hog probably moving the bowl out of the feeding station(which, in fairness, is an open fronted plastic storage box to protect the food from rain and makes it difficult for the cats to get at. i looked out the other night and the bowl was in the feeding station and I looked again a few minutes later and the bowl was outside alongside a disappointed looking hog as the bowl was empty!

I had a first for me this year – i think I witnessed my first hog self anointing! I didn’t know what was going on at first as the hog sort of rolled partially on its side then it looked like it had been sick on its back and I was very worried about it. But then it proceeded to lick itself all over for must be almost 10 minutes then happily walk off with no problems. This is why I think it was a self anointing as it didn’t appear to be in any distress whatsoever and actually looked like it was having a good time – maybe its equivalent of a shower!

Anyway hog poo count rising and, with the better weather, I have started putting a few food bowls amongst the flower pots/beds so they have to work a little harder for their dinner (I still leave food in the feeding station) but those snouts never fail to find it 🙂

Hedgehog