Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat I’ve missed them! Reply To: I’ve missed them!

Hi all, thank you so much. I wouldn’t have thought they would be so late coming out of hibernation. The hog I thought was big Benny isn’t him. I saw it through the window and the marks on it (it had two lines of cut prickles) says its Tommy. He is looking better than last year, but since he emerged Heidi has disappeared. Re difference between male and female, I have found that males leave more poo in the feeding station than females. They generally like to mess all over and sometimes tip dishes over. Tommy has left an awful mess each night. Glad I saw him through the window, I remembered Big Benny always walked around the feeding station looking in through the plastic box to see if anything was in there, before he ventured in. I said last year, I put cardboard down in the box, it lasts longer than newspaper! Provided there’s not a pile of wet poo in there it’s easy to remove with kitchen towel. It’s also a bit better to stand on for the hogs and if you do get a frost it seems to keep the food and water from freezing. Hope you are all well, I’ve been knocked flat by antibiotics for tonsillitis. Best wishes.

Hedgehog