Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Ants swarming in hedgehog feeding station Reply To: Ants swarming in hedgehog feeding station

Nic

Hi antique

Sorry I don’t recall seeing any specific mention of whether hogs eat ants or not, just that they do eat insects.

Not sure why the ants would be attracted to the hog house, unless you’ve had something sweet in it. But once you’ve pressure sprayed the ants away, you could try to clean the hog house with boiling water, making sure it gets in the joints of the wood, which is the method recommended to kill parasite eggs (ticks/fleas).

I agree – definitely no to ant killer. Not only bad for the hogs, but may also deprive you of the vist from the green woodpecker, which must be lovely to see.

If all else fails, maybe a new hog feeding box?! That’s what I had to do years ago when a hog decided to build a nest in one!

Good luck and happy hog watching.

Hedgehog