Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Poo spotted despite builder's mess… Reply To: Poo spotted despite builder's mess…

Nic

Hi Annie

Yes, it seems all one thing or the other with rain. It’s been very dry here, too, although there was a tiny bit of rain last night.

No, I don’t think hogs are that keen on slugs, if there’s something better around. At least they should still be able to catch beetles, even if it hasn’t been raining. The other night I saw a hog on the video seemingly regurgitating something. I had a look in the area in the morning and the only thing I could see was what looked like a slightly misshapen medium sized slug. (Reminded me of Ron Weasley in Harry Potter – if you are familiar with it). He went straight back to the food and was chomping away for quite a while and seemed o.k.

There only seem to be a couple of males visting at the moment. Last night I looked out and saw one peacefully eating, but a few minutes later I looked out and he was in a ball. I was just in time to see the other hog disappearing into the hog box. He might be the reason for not so many visits – a bit of a tyrant! The other males all seem scared of him. This one eventually unrolled and scarpered, even though the other hog was safely in the box by that time.

I found a very small frog a while ago when I was doing some edging. Luckily I was on hands and knees – he could so easily have been chopped, even with shears. I put him on the edge of the mini-pond. I think he or another one must be in there a bit, because I often hear a little plop as I approach as if something has just dived down. One time I thought I saw a little frog nose, but definitely not the bigger ones I’ve had there before.

No I haven’t seen any of the Chris Packham things. I normally have limited broadband, so got into the habit of being a bit careful, even though I probably could use a bit more, now that BT have given us unlimited broadband at the moment. Very nice of them. But I so often see things i.e. gardening programmes where they make these water features with no exits available for hogs as well as some other hog unfriendly features.

So sad about the striping. So unnecessary. Glad to hear Frankie’s kennel is still being used, although how dare they poo on the blanket!

Hope you and the hogs stay safe.

Hedgehog