Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Poo spotted despite builder's mess… Reply To: Poo spotted despite builder's mess…

Nic

Hi Annie

Definitely a little frog in the pond today. I could see it’s little nose and eyes peaking up above the water.

This year it seems to be the female blackbirds who are drawing attention to themselves to get extra food. But also a robin. Nice to know that they are continuing as normal. Only one hog last night. Not the ferocious one. Perhaps he’s found some females somewhere else! The cat even managed to get a sneaky few mouthfuls – first time for ages – but didn’t stay long.

Sorry to hear about the striped hog. So unfair to them.

It’s very difficult to tell what’s going on from one photo, or even a series of 3 in a row. That’s why I tend to set mine on video. The rechargeable batteries seem to do a pretty good job, as long as I recharge them every day.

The new camera has been playing up. They are blaming the batteries (which I know is often the problem) but I have another one which is exactly the same model and it works fine with the rechargeable batteries. So I’m not convinced. Even when it had the lithium batteries in, it didn’t seem to pick up everything. But not easy to send it back at the moment and they expect you to pay the postal charges, which I wasn’t very impressed about. After I was giving them good PR on here, too! So I am using it for daytime images at the moment – I have been seeing a starling on the lawn collecting nesting material, which is quite fun. I might try setting it to photos for a while. It isn’t focused on the feed area now, where more action tends to happen – the old one is, which is a bit ironic. That one’s clasp broke and it’s done up with one of those bits of metal used to hang up calenders bent to make a sort of catch! But it still works well.

Well done with the litter collection. You’d hope there would be less around with people not being around so much. I only go food shopping once a fortnight – I’ve done that for ages now, not least to save on petrol. It’s actually more difficult now, not being able to get everything you need and having to wait another fortnight to hopefully get it. Since the virus, I have been doing a friend’s too – quite exhausting juggling the two lists!

Hope you stay safe, too.

Hedgehog