Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Strange Hog Behaviour Reply To: Strange Hog Behaviour

Hi Nic,

Hope all is well with you and thanks for your post.

There was an altercation by the feeding station a couple of weeks ago which resulted in a bit of a mess and the lighter plastic dish ended up on its edge still inside the feeding station.

One hog seems to have developed the trick of pulling out the lighter plastic dish and this has happened a few times although I have yet to see this ‘trick’ in action. it could be a cat dragging the bowl out but I think its a hog. As one of my earlier posts I looked out and the dish was inside the feeding station and then looked again a few minutes later and the dish was outside with a hog in attendance.

I think this may be to do with me putting 2 dishes inside the feeding station side by side and, by dragging the lighter dish out, this probably makes things easier for the hogs to get to the food or finish off any leftovers.

I have only been putting one dish (the lighter plastic dish) in the feeding station over the past week or so and the dish is still in there every morning, minus food, as access is now easier to the dish so no need for adjusting the furniture so to speak!

I think you are right a hog had an idea of using the feeding station as a day nest and brought across some bedding material and then had a change of heart. The dish outside was probably another hogs doing as you also say which added a little to the mystery!

Alternatively maybe the hog was making up a bed for a friend to drop by and this was the spare room! If only they could talk and explain themselves to us it would make things so much easier but it would also take away some of the mystique and enjoyment in working out these spiky critters actions 🙂

Best wishes.

Stay safe everyone.

Hedgehog