Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Badger mauling Reply To: Badger mauling

Yes I have an update.

3 nights after the initial visit I had a hedgehog visit the garden. He wasn’t one of my residents but often came through to eat. He was recognisable but a bleached area on his back. The next morning one of my neighbours called me to say that a Hedgehog was dead in one of the driveways mauled. It was the Hedgehog I’d seen visiting and the marks, blood stains and scratches were typical of a badger. For a week I saw no more Hedgehogs and I believed them all to have been taken. This has not turned out to be the case though. The two remaining resident Hedgehogs had gone back into a mini hibernation which I think is a defense response when a predator is visiting their territory regularly. So I still have 2 resident Hedgehogs, I’ve stopped any possibility of badgers being able to access my property but they still run the risk of being attacked outside the boundaries of my garden. I hope of course the Badger has moved on but nature is nature and I cannot intefere.

Hedgehog