Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Do hedgehogs follow old routes ? Reply To: Do hedgehogs follow old routes ?

Since they seem to have bad eyesight, I guess that they have a good memory of places and a good orientation.

I saw a video of a gps tracked hedgehog during many days. As I remeber it often folowed some paths in the urban environment and mostly had the same place to sleep.

When i see hedgehogs in human environments i can often anticipate from their general direction where it will pass. Like when a hedgehog was heading over fairly short grassland where it was a single tuft of grass. I thought the tuft might be a place for it to find food or a little shelter. I laid down beside the tuft and filmed this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jensraberg/30741653815/in/album-72157672476221933/

In sweden hedgehogs very often move about in late afternoon while being well. This might be because the nights aren’t really dark and they would starve if they waited for dark in june.

Hedgehog