Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Rescued 308g hog Reply To: Rescued 308g hog

Hi Melanie
Well done for helping the little one.
I am not an expert but just a couple of things I have read and some thoughts. Hopefully the more experienced people on here will reply soon.

You say he is in a box with a lid….is there enough air getting in? Also with the hot water bottle did the carer advise what to do? This is from the BHPS site so pretty sure you already have it……
“”If you have found a hedgehog you are concerned about please use gardening gloves to collect it up, bring it indoors and put it in a high sided cardboard box with an old towel or fleece in the bottom for the hedgehog to hide under. Fill a hot water bottle so that when it is wrapped in a towel there is a nice gentle heat coming through and put that in the bottom of the box with the hedgehog, ensuring it has room to get off the bottle should it get too warm. Make sure the bottle is always kept warm (if allowed to go cold it will chill the hedgehog and do more harm than good). If the hedgehog is bleeding please do not add a hot water bottle as this will make it bleed more quickly. Put the box somewhere quiet. Offer meaty cat or dog food and fresh water then call us as soon as possible on 01584 890 801

As far as light- we did a bit of rehab on an adult male who had a back leg amputated. We put him in the garage and I turned the lights on during the day and off at night. It seemed to work for him but he was a big boy and I think just wanted to hibernate.

I think if you just leave food and water out all the time, he will eat when he is hungry and just keep it topped up. Lots of fresh water too.

I hope someone like Stef or Nic gets back to you who are very knowledgeable.
Please let us know how it is going
Good luck

Hedgehog