Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Rescued 308g hog Reply To: Rescued 308g hog

Nic

Hi Mrs.mh

Well done for rescuing the little one. We really need Stef’s advice – it’s more her area than mine, but I imagine she is very busy looking after hogs! But the person you spoke to before may be able to answer your questions.

I agree with simbo65 to leave food all day and especially water – they are very good at spilling it, so make sure it’s topped up regularly. I usually line any container with newspapers to help soak up any spilt water, but you may need to change it if it gets wet.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it being awake in the day, it’s quite likely to be if someone is around. Any hogs from here that have needed rescuing at any time have reverted back to being nocturnal immediately on release. (They have been released as darkness sets – or at least left in their box with a hole in it so that they could exit at their own pace).

Hopefully Stef will see this and answer your questions, but if not, I would ring back the person you spoke to before to clarify those few points.

Good luck.

Hedgehog