Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Best wildlife camera to use? Reply To: Best wildlife camera to use?

Hi, for quite a while I used a DC power supplies for my cameras. You obviously have to get one with the correct connector for your camera, although many 3rd party ones come with a selection of male connectors and variable power settings. What I then did was run an outdoor cable (such as used for Pond pumps for instance) from an outdoor socket to the location near the camera and then place the power supply (connected to the outdoor cable) into one of those outdoor boxes for holding extension cables etc. This then provided constant power to the camera. Pros: – Constant power to camera, so no need for batteries. Cons:- Some cameras are designed such that you cannot access the SD card without disconnecting the power supply, which then results in the camera losing its settings. I also found over several months that the Power supply ‘plug’ started to rust as the connection was not 100% waterproof. After a few months and the fact that I got another couple of cameras I decided to go back to batteries. I use 8/12 re-chargeable Energizer batteries which have a 2300ma charge, but also recently bought some 2800ma from Amazon and will see how they last. Currently I re-charge all the batteries (36) using a couple of Energiser Chargers (CH1HR3) which charge 4 batteries (each) very quickly.

Hedgehog