Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings hogs getting to know each other. Reply To: hogs getting to know each other.

Nic

Hi Gary101a

Nice to hear you have a male and female there. A good start in the hope for some hoglets! Yes, the circling sometimes goes on for hours, although the circle often ‘drifts’ out of view of the camera and sometimes one or other of the hogs gets fed up and wanders off!

Re. the camera, you might want to check the batteries. It’s often problems with them that makes the cameras do strange things, i.e. stop recording and have flashing images when on video. Night time video does eat up a lot of battery power. Most people seem to find that ordinary batteries just don’t work for long. I got through dozens of them in a fairly short time, when I got my first camera. Lithium ones last longer, but I have been using rechargeable ones for years now. (even though most cameras say they aren’t recommended). It’s best, though, if you use rechargeable ones, to use the maximum number that fit in the camera. You’ll probably need to use at least 6, preferably 8 (or more if the camera will take more). Also to use ones with as high an mAh as possible. The ones I use are 2300 and 2500, but you can get ones with higher amounts. With ones with low mAh the power just doesn’t last long enough. Make sure that the power level on the camera shows at least 2 bars at the start of a night. I tend to charge the batteries daily for the camera which has the most activity, but can somtimes get away with 2 or sometimes 3 days on quieter ones.

Good luck and happy hog watching. Fingers crossed for some hoglets later on!

Hedgehog