Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings How much food should I leave? Reply To: How much food should I leave?

Thanks for your replies:
In April my hedgehogs woke up and I spotted one baby in the feeding box whilst the adult appeared to be standing guard. since that day I have only seen the one baby hedgehog each night. (S)He appears from under the summerhouse at 9pm each night – and goes straight into the feeding box. According to my camera the hog comes out several times during the night but always stays in my back garden. I do have a hedgehog highway into my front garden and then into the neighbour’s garden, but my spiky friend won’t use this in spite of me laying a food trail into the next garden.
Is this normal? He (she) seems terrified to go far from his home, under the summerhouse, constantly returns there and relies on me feeding him.
When digging the garden this week I discoverd a total lack of worms, slugs or snails, so even if he wanted to hunt, there is nothing for him.
I worry about him as he just doesn’t seem Independant.

Hedgehog