Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings How much food should I leave? Reply To: How much food should I leave?

Nic

Hi Valie

It’s good to hear you have at least one hog which has returned.

First cameras aren’t totally reliable at telling everything that’s happening. So it’s possible the hog is going places which may not have been captured on ‘film’. There is a delay between when movement is detected and the camera triggers, as well as a time gap between images. One way to know for sure whether a hog has been somewhere, is to use a footprint tunnel. https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/footprint-tunnels/

Whilst hogs do eat earthworms and to a lesser extent slugs, they normally eat mostly beetles and caterpillars. So the hog could still be getting some natural food in your garden. Making sure you don’t use any chemicals in the garden, encourages more wild food.

If it’s a young hog, it might not have ‘spread it’s wings’ yet, but may become more confident as time goes on. I would keep feeding and providing water and it will probably gradually explore further afield as time goes on.

Hedgehog