Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat What to name our Hog Reply To: What to name our Hog

Nic

Hi FuzzyG

Naming a hog is very much a personal thing. It has to be a name that you like and is the sort of name you might remember.

In the past I have sometimes started with descriptive names for the hogs. For instance, years ago, I had a young one which was much smaller than all the others and so I used to call it midge. Of course it couldn’t stay midge for ever, because another midge might come along, so it eventually was changed to magic, which sounded very similar and I thought was a nice name.

Similarly I might initially call a hog pale skirt, dark face (or some other description) which is then shortened to psdf and then try to create a name from those letters. That way I am reminding myself of the identifying features in the name at the same time – although some may find that a bit too complicated!

Sometimes a hog might remind you of someone. I once had one who used to remind me of the (older) Queen Victoria. Although she wasn’t called Vicoria, but could have been.

If the hog always turns up at the same time, you could call it a number, or a number in another language.

You could call all the hogs which you first see in any given year, names starting with the same initial.

Endless possibilities.

But you also need to consider whether you know if it is a male or female and if not sure pick a name which would do for either. But really it can be pretty much similar to how you would name any animal.

Good luck. I’m sure something will come to you, sometime and that will become the hog’s name.

Hedgehog