Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehogs again – hooray! Reply To: Hedgehogs again – hooray!

Nic

Hi Aggie

Yes, hedgehogs do have to be careful when mating with all those spines and the female has to co-operate. They apparently need to get into a special position. I have some video where a female hedgehog has actually lifted the whole area of her spines up above her back legs , which would make it much easier. Whether that forms a part of the procedure, I am not sure, but if not, I’m not sure why not! But difficult to see when the male is normally covering that area with his body during mating. But, hogs have incredible muscles around their spines, not least to be able to roll up. She actually looked a bit like a poodle with a fancy haircut! Unfortunately I couldn’t see what she was doing just before.

Don’t worry about not being able to work a camera, I’m sure you’ll be fine. Once they are set up it’s very easy. There are usually various settings that you need to decide which you want to use. i.e. photos or video, day, night or both – that sort of thing. But once you have one, you probably won’t want to be without it! Mine emit red light in varying degrees, but the hogs don’t seem to mind at all.

Hedgehog