Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Do you feed every night? Reply To: Do you feed every night?

Hi Nic, thanks for the advice I have read many of your posts on the forum and you obviously know a lot about hedgehogs.

The hedgehog is living under our small (and old) area of decking at the bottom of the garden, there is a small hole at the front where the wood has rotted which the hedgehog has been coming out of every night. The feeding station is really close to the entrance as I wanted to get video of it coming out and feeding. The hog often makes multiple trips into the feeding station and is active roughly between 22.00 and 03.00, it tends to eat some of the food then go for a roam and come back and finish it off later.

I was partly asking as it has put on some weight in the 3 weeks I have been feeding it, although it wasn’t particularly big in the first place so may just be fattening up a bit after hibernation. Also it does often drink quite a lot, the video clips are 1 minute and it will spend the whole minute drinking sometimes and then return for another drink or two later for less time.

I really just wondered if there is much salt content in dog food that was maybe making it drink more and also if the fat content could be an issue over time? Most domestic cats/dogs that are overfed will just keep eating it and become fat but not sure if this is common in hedgehogs. I don’t put out a lot of food but there is at least one other hedgehog around so I’m trying to cater for that one a bit also, I normally put a saucer of food out (so 1 can of dog food lasts about 4/5 nights) and the resident hedgy normally polishes it off every night. Does that sound about right?

Hedgehog