Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Best wildlife camera to use? Reply To: Best wildlife camera to use?

Hi, I posted in the trail cam thread about batteries & the 1.5v alkaline vs 1.2v of rechargeable batteries, some of you might find it an interesting & surprising read. As for the high capacity nimh batteries, they’re not the best as they lose charge constantly even when not being used, you’re much better of using LDR type nimh (Low Discharge Rate, sold as ‘Pre-Charged’ ) rechargeable batteries, yes they have less mah than non LDR batteries but in certain situations they will last longer due to very little drain when not being used, for example during the day when many probably turn off their trail cameras or set it to only be active over night.

I’m finding the amazonbasics rechargeable batteries to be brilliant, using them in my tail camera & the solar powered garden lights. I opted for the 2400 mah, that’s the highest capacity LDR available & I’m getting longer life than I was with the previous 2900 mah in the devices I used them in. I only found out about the low discharge rate variant of nimh batteries last year & after using them for a bit I’ll never go back to normal nimh again!

Hedgehog