Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog identification Reply To: Hedgehog identification

Nic

Hi ChrisandCarolyn

If the hogs have marks on their backs, it may be that someone in the area is artificially marking them. Sadly it happens around here as well and often the same hog will turn up with different markings, having presumably been re-marked or marked as well by someone else. Personally, I think it is unkind to the hogs and may even interfere with their social interactions – they rely heavily on their sense of smell and any foreign substance which has been put on them is bound to make them smell different.

Added to which, it really isn’t necessary to artificially mark hedgehogs. They can be identified by their natural markings and so much nicer to see hogs in their wild natural beauty, than as parodies of themselves covered with artificial marking.

I wrote some notes a while back with tips of characteristics to look out for when identifiying hedgehogs naturally, which you might find useful. I included them in the following post, as well as tips on how to tell male from female, which can also help with identification.

https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/hog-identification/

Good luck. I hope you will try natural identification. Happy hogwatching!

Hedgehog