Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Badger mauling Reply To: Badger mauling

Nic

Hi Ray

Some people do say the urine thing works – and yes, male – something to do with the testosterone. I would be inclined to put it around the boundary of your garden rather than just the feeding area. But the more gardens the hogs have access to the better so that they can forage for natural food. What we feed them is only meant to be supplementary. But even if you stopped feeding, I would definitely not stop putting water out. It’s harder for the hogs to find water than to find wild food.

The worry about feeding stations is that the hogs may develop a false sense of security around them. Whereas if they are foraging more generally they might be more alert. But it’s good that there is good cover near the feeding areas.

I believe badgers are becoming more common in urban/suburban areas. You might be lucky and the badger might just be passing through looking for a new home – if, for instance it’s previous home has been disturbed. But the traffic or non-traffic may have contributed. Usually when badgers move into an area hogs vote with their feet and move out. So if they are still visiting they might know something you don’t! Fingers crossed either the urine is working or the badger has moved on.

Good luck.

Hedgehog