Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog identification Reply To: Hedgehog identification

I’m not sure that using a waterproof, water-based poster paint to identify ’hogs would bother them overmuch, it doesn’t have much of an odour. I’ve had a ‘hog in the garden with a light coloured patch on its flank, but the patch seemed to vary, so it may have been something it had come into contact with.
As it is, identifying the different ’hogs is near to impossible, there aren’t any significant markings on them, the only one I can identify is by the noises she makes, (I’m assuming it’s a female, there’s a lot of loud snorting goes on from other ‘hogs that turn up and get close to her), and she makes a funny little chuckling noise as she wanders around the garden, I can often be aware of her before I see her. What I’m considering doing is getting a set of dayglo waterproof water-based poster paints, and just letting a few drops drip onto their spines, that way I can use a UV led light to see the colours from a distance.
I was watching a hedgehog release being done on a TV programme recently, and the ‘hogs all had different colour patches on their backs – a water-based non-toxic paint shouldn’t cause any issues, if made for use by children.
Here’s our little group of visitors on Monday night, after the suet pellets I put down for the birds, they’d already been at the kitty kibbles and dog food on the feeding boxes to the right of the photo, I hadn’t realised we had four!

https://i.postimg.cc/Prvy9WG8/4CDFBA46-0E12-4838-B2D2-06E9D31596FD.jpg

Hedgehog