Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Foraging in dry weather Reply To: Foraging in dry weather

Nic

Hi 5sandown

I know I mentioned nice damp rotting wood, but there’s something to be said for a dry woodpile as well. I made one in an old wooden box (used to be an outside cat kennel years ago) on it’s side and filled it with any fallen bits of wood – mostly quite small – but also the odd bit of rolled up corrugted cardboard, etc. and shortly afterwards some bumble bees moved in. But it’s always full of all sorts of mini beasts. It tends to gradually sink but I add a few more twigs etc. now and then. Although it is beginning to fall apart now.

But those gabion baskets you can get are good for making homes for mini beasts as well, if you want to keep them reasonably tidy. A garden doesn’t have to be untidy to be wildlife friendly.

Good news re. the fox. I’ve got a rat here again at the moment. The last one didn’t like kitten biscuits, but sadly this one does. There was one clip on video of it attacking a hedgehog! Only enough to make it move away from the bowl, but even so. There were two other bowls with food in, but it seems the rat wanted the one the hog was eating from!

Hedgehog