Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Foraging in dry weather Reply To: Foraging in dry weather

Nic

Hi Hedgie Lover

Sadly it seems hog eat very few if any woodlice, even though there are so many around. I’ve never seen them eating one and they are often readily available.

In Pat Morris’ book ‘Hedgehogs’ it says:
“….. The biggest mystery must surely be that hedgehogs seem to eat very few woodlice. This is odd because woodlice are very common creatures, especially in gardens. ……”

I’m not sure about ladybirds. I’ve never seen them mentioned, but suspect not, as they are normally not on the ground. Yes, the ants will tend the greenfly like a flock of sheep, or perhaps cows would be a better analogy as they ‘milk’ them for honey dew! But if you leave the aphids and don’t be tempted to spray them, something will likely come along and eat them.

Hedgehog