Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Foraging in dry weather Reply To: Foraging in dry weather

it’s the circle of life, it’s food for someone else, and food is important for all species. In my house, I try take the spiders back outside, especially if they get stuck in my bath or similar, but for the spiders that have happily made a home, I leave them be – knowing that they will eat the bugs for me.

I leave weeds to grow a bit to see what they look like. I’m glad that I’ve got some nettles and brambles, as I can have nettle soup in the spring and blackberries on my porridge in autumn.

Some weeds that I have got sometimes produce beautiful flowers, so I keep them, some are really unslightly and no bugs are living on them, so I’m gonna get the shears out for them shortly.

My roses don’t look too happy, but at the end of the day, the flowers give us pleasure to look at, but for insects that is their home and food, so it’s more important to give it to them.

I wish I had some wild garlic growing. Might try see if I can buy some seeds.

Hedgehog