Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Foraging in dry weather Reply To: Foraging in dry weather

Nic

HI HedgieLover

Love it that you have nettle soup and blackberries in your porridge! Brilliant.

Don’t forget that some of the boring looking plants are home to something, too. Nettle is one, of course – home to some of the butterfly caterpillars. They seem to prefer the nettles which grow in the sun and not too old. Don’t worry about eating them – you’d likely see if any caterpillars are there. But if you harvest the nettles for soup, you may be creating some nice new growth for the caterpillars, as a by product.

If you’re buying wild garlic seeds, make sure you get the right type for the right location. Often ramsoms is called wild garlic – pretty white flower, tends to grow in woodland – apparently likes it damp – with the broad (vaguely tulip like) leaves and I believe it’s the leaves that are eaten. Or the other type which tends to grow in the wild in more open places, road edges, etc. sometimes called crow garlic, which is more like the sort people grow. Then there’s garlic mustard, I think sometimes called hedge garlic – again white flower, but not as pretty as ramsoms but a plant with stem and leaves.

I’d be interested to know if you can get seed for any of them.

Hedgehog