Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Foraging in dry weather Reply To: Foraging in dry weather

I was looking into people’s experience of growing wild garlic on the net – people don’t have too much success – after that, I realised probably best to forage for the wild garlic, as there is plenty, and I don’t think they would like my garden – not damp enough.

I’ve only made one batch of nettle soup in my lifetime, along with some wild garlic butter that I made for garlic bread. Both were really nice, so will probably do it again another year.

It’s really difficult to pick and wash nettles, that’s why I havn’t been motivated to do it again. And you can only have it for 2 mths of the year, when they are young.

This autumn I made stewed apples with stewed blackberries for my porridge, it was so nice I had it right up til spring, but by that time I had to get my blackberries from the supermarket.

It was the nettle patch that Sweetpea stayed for half an hour, after she ventured out of her release box, and she had found something to eat, and was self annointing for half an hour in the same spot until a handsome male turned up.

Hedgehog