Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat sorting out the wild area in my garden, really pleased with myself Reply To: sorting out the wild area in my garden, really pleased with myself

The twigs are inbetween two tall confer tree trunks, so it should be okay, will check each morning – like I do with the original hedgehog house, as I also put a pile of brash on that, twigs, and the odd leafy, part of a confer branch.

So I each morning I check if everything is in place, and will do the same for the new house.

Anyway, good news, there is someone currently in the tunnel behind the new house, the same place where Sweetpea and her male buddy were hanging out on the first night of her release. I really hope it’s Sweetpea, she’s doing a lot of rustling, but no hufing, so I think it’s a hog by him/herself. It might be Sweetpea making a nest for the night,

That place is safer than the actual hog house, as there is a 5inch gap to the left of the house and the confer tree, then the tunnel is at the back, which is surrounded by brash (from the confer leaves), with long sticks and branches for a roof. So if it is a female, and she is going to raise her hogs there, it would be a safe bet.

It will keep fairly dry, as even when it downpours, because of the confer trees, it doesn’t get wet. So it’s a really good sheltered spot. Ideal for a summer nest. then when it gets to winter, the can pop round the front and use the wooden house.

It does mean, that I definately cannot disturb the new house, and will have to put a camera up in beginning of april, for a while to check if there is anything behind it. That’s the issue.

Hedgehog