Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Gone AWOL!!! :-( Reply To: Gone AWOL!!! :-(

Thank you Nic, Boss Hogg,

Things just got a whole lot worse! I was talking to a neighbour yesterday and a dead hedgehog was found in a neighbouring garden a few days ago, apparently its face was mutilated so he assumed that it had been attacked by something. I am a very lighter sleeper and with all the windows open during this hot weather, I think that I would have heard if something was attacking our prickly friends, my money is on a damn strimmer again! 🙁 We did locate a badger set nearby, but it looks as though it has been there for many a year and I don’t think most of the hogs would stray that far.

Our garden backs onto a footpath lined with mostly hedges, so even if someone did block any holes up there would still be plenty of access. Glad to here that your hogs found a new route Boss Hogg.

My worry is that they all disappeared after the garden centres reopened on the 20th May. Many people like myself have been busy cultivating vegetables for the first time during lockdown and may have got busy with toxic slug pellets and other poisonous chemicals; of course they may also have purchased hedgehog food there too and our lot have cleared off to pastures new now that there’s some work to be done in the garden…just typical! Thankfully the song thrush family have stepped in and are keeping the slimy devils under control, just need to keep the pesky pigeons off my cabbages!

I am clinging to the hope that the females are busy raising hoglets, since yours disappear for a couple of weeks during this time Nick and that the males are busy stalking them…time will tell. 🙁

Hedgehog