Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat A question about food. Reply To: A question about food.

Nic

Hi deb

Chopped peanuts and sunflower hearts aren’t all that good for hogs either – they also don’t have a very good ratio of phosphorous to calcium. Not as bad as mealworms, but added together, not ideal, especially if the hog goes to another garden and eats similar stuff. Especially as they are known to hoover up what birds drop under feeders.

You might want to consider swapping your garnish of mealworms for calci-worms. They have a higher amount of calcium, as the name suggests. The jury is still out a bit, for me, as they are still quite new, so I would only use them as a ‘garnish’. I understand that the calcium level can vary according to what they are fed. So there is a chance that as they become more popular people may feed them rubbish (literally) to make them cheaper to produce and it might make the calcium level come down – so worth checking on the packaging what it says it is.

There is a useful chart attached to this feeding information re. calcium and phosphorous amounts in some foods.
http://www.valewildlife.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Feeding-wild-hedgehogs.pdf

Hedgehog