Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Poo spotted despite builder's mess… Reply To: Poo spotted despite builder's mess…

Nic

Hi Annie

Sorry I’ve taken so long to reply.

Well the activities in your garden sound promising! Fingers crossed for some hoglets visiting both of our gardens this year. I did have one other female one night – looked like a newcomer. No sign of Siili. It’s so late now that I fear she won’t be back, which is sad – after all that. The sad fact is that some hogs don’t survive hibernation. At least she had some time being a normal wild and free hedgehog. Just wish she had come back and had hoglets of her own.

The frog made a starring role again and jumped straight into one of the water bowls from a couple of feet away!

Unfortunately I have a rat around again. I stopped feeding the birds and it disappeared for 3 days, but no sooner did I put bird food out again, than there it was (or possibly another one). So annoying. The poor birds lined up on the fence and no food unless I’m there to supervise. Hope rats don’t eat frogs! This rat seems to like collecting the kitten biscuits (not sure whether it actually eats them) and obviously caches them somewhere – which is just as bad as eating them! I keep finding little piles of them in an empty hog box!

Oh and one of the rats attacked a hedgehog. Crept up close within a few inches of a hog eating at a bowl and suddenly leapt forward towards it’s face! The hog hastily tucked it’s head back and the rat started eating out of the bowl – there were 2 other bowls with food still in! Needless to say some of the hogs were scared of it.

Still a fair few hogs around – glad we’ve had a little bit of rain – the marks not looking quite so prominent! Mostly males.

I think of my front garden as my mini-woodland, too. It even looks best in the Spring like woodland. At the moment the buddleias are still quite small but when they grow up there is a little space I can sit in, surrounded by bushes. Although the other side of my path is my ‘wildlflower meadow’ – better in the Summer. A bit of a strange mix!

I ventured briefly to the garden centre because there wasn’t a queue, but a lot of people weren’t being very careful about keeping their distances, so it wasn’t a very comfortable experience. It seems some people have stopped bothering. Maybe the best time to go is when it’s pouring with rain and not many people want to venture out!

Hope you stay safe and well, too.

Hedgehog