Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog House Help. Reply To: Hedgehog House Help.

Thanks Nic for your speedy response! The reason we wrapped the plastic around the wooden house was because on multiple sites it said to. I presume the ventilation hole would release the hot air/condensation caused by the plastic. So we decided to leave it.

Today we came in from a afternoon walk and I thought i’d check the strawberries. When I did, on the edge of them was our hedgy having a snooze. Unfortunately, I woke him/her up before realising they was there. So we backed off and watched from inside the house as the hedgy moved under the leaves of a nearby lily wedged against the side of our decking and fence.

We saw this opportunity to check the hedgy house and put in the ventilation holes and pipe before the hedgy returns later. Upon inspection we saw an ants nest inside. Also our hedgy has brought in fresh grass and moss adding to the dry roots, hays and shredded paper we had put inside.

We are now a bit concerned about the plastic as there seems to be a lot of moisture inside the house. Would you recommend we remove the plastic that has been stapled on? I have updated my profile picture with an image of our hedgy house.

Many thanks in advance.

Hedgehog