Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog House Help. Reply To: Hedgehog House Help.

Nic

Hi Sarah

I think I would leave the hog house for now, if it is in use – even though the hog might have nipped outside for a while to sleep in the undergrowth. But once you are sure it has vacated completely, I would be inclined to only leave waterproofing on the roof. Others may have different opinions. The hog may have decided to move out anyway because of the ants. But the ventilation holes will probably help a bit with the condensation.

I know some people seem to recommend covering in plastic. Personally I don’t think it’s a good idea. I think the wood needs to be able to ‘breath’ and I don’t know for sure, but suspect they might rot more quickly if covered with plastic, because of the condensation problem and not much chance to dry out because any moisture is retained by the plastic. But I’m also inclined to think that, for hogs, more natural materials are best. A hog house is only a suitable area within which a hog can make a nest. If it wasn’t a box it would likely be in some undergrowth or between some bush stems.

Hedgehog