Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Identifying Hedgehogs from their Natural Markings Reply To: Identifying Hedgehogs from their Natural Markings

Nic

It’s difficult to know exactly what you mean, ApplesandPears, without seeing it.

Apparently both males and females have nipples along each side, but these probably would be mostly hidden in the fur and wouldn’t necessarily be picked up by cameras. I imagine the females’ nipples might be more prominent when she’s nursing. But just from observing hogs from afar you might not see that, but it’s possible.

My description above is from what you can see in the field from a respectful distance – so that you can tell male from female from afar. My view is that unless a hedgehog is sick or injured and in need of help they should be left to get on with their own lives undisturbed. So that it would not be appropriate to catch a hog just to see if it was male or female (which would be for our benefit, not the hogs). I believe that we should only interact with hedgehogs if it is for the benefit of that particular hedgehog or hedgehogs in general. But with patience, it is possible to tell whether male or female from afar.

Hedgehog