Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Identifying Hedgehogs from their Natural Markings Reply To: Identifying Hedgehogs from their Natural Markings

Hi Nic,
I have had the field camera low down on the patio where the hogs come to feed. Initially I thought it was only one hog visiting but noticed the one had a light area on its forehead and some back prickles. Later realised the hog had an appendage on the abdomen. But it has been there for the 3 weeks I had been filming. I then found you info which was useful. Then one night there was a second hog which resulted in a fracas. I went back through the videos and the one had no head marking on the other hog plus two appendages in a similar place to the first hog. I thought it may be nipples. The second hog has been visiting all along. Only time will tell if it is a nursing females if she brings the hoglets to forage. We think one was under the shed for a while. But there hasn’t been poo around the area for a couple of weeks. Thank you for your help.

Hedgehog