Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Missing hedgehog Reply To: Missing hedgehog

I’ve been told by a foster carer, who helps to run a really good hog rescue centre – that this is totally normal for this time of year – I think they like to go and explore, find a mate for the night, and they don’t seem to stay in their summer nests for too long, a couple of nights and then off.

It’s around September and October, where they come back (so I’ve been told). Last year, for me, it seemed a lot busier in my garden – might have been because I’d first started to feed them, and perhaps this was a new opportunity for them – perhaps as they know it’s there constantly, they aren’t so worried about coming back each night.

However, it’s starting to get slightly busier – for me it was fairly busy in March, when we had that drought, and when they came out of hibernation, then it’s tailed off – but I think they will be back.

I cleaned out my two houses in April, and beginning of May, and since then no occupants, even though I haven’t moved them, and I used no cleaning products. so I’m hoping they might be viewing them as winter nests, and hope that they will be used later on.

Hedgehog