Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Very skinny fox – don’t know what to do Reply To: Very skinny fox – don’t know what to do

It’s been a year now – and it’s almost nightly – so what I did yesterday morning – as I didn’t have any hogs visiting me on Saturday (which was the 1st time for a long time), I decided to give their left over food, well I tipped it out where the fox has been entering into my garden – and it had gone. Whether a hedgehog ate it all, I don’t know, I assume it was the fox.

So from now on that’s what I’ll do, just tip out the left over food, I do that now and again anyway, so I’ll keep on doing that – so then nothing gets wasted.

The things is, I can understand why the foster carer does it – because the hogs are in hutches outside, and obviously, she needs to avoid the fox pestering the hogs, so she leaves a bowl out away from the hutches each night – so if that fox comes regularly anyway, and it tries each night to get to the hutches – that would be worse.

She does have wild hogs visit too.

So,yes, on the one hand it does encourage foxes to come every night, but after one year, and it’s still looking for food, I might as well give in to it. Plus if it’s full, it might not eat a hog out of desperation. I thought if it’s fighting to survive, it might try harder.

I did take on board your advice last year, and decided not to encourage the fox by not feeding, but it hasn’t worked on this occasion, so I think this is the best decision for me.

Hedgehog