Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat New hedgehog in garden Reply To: New hedgehog in garden

I can confirm hedgies can be a bit weird re: nest sites. I bought a lovely Hoghouse, placed it under a bush, dry grass already inside, so all that was needed was to move in – no effort required. A few weeks back a likely pregnant hoggy turns up and spends about 7-8 hours (up to about 10am) tearing up my lawn to drag grass to a nest she’s decided to make by the back fence under some tarp. Now I know she’s aware of the luxurious hoghouse as she checked it out the night before, but nope, prefers to make her own under some tarp.

Good news is a few weeks later a giant hedgehog I call the Megahog has moved in to the Hoghouse. He can barely squeeze himself in he is so big, but he seems to like it and he and the lady hog have had some huffing action around the feeding station so there’s plenty of hoggy action taking place at the moment where I am.

Besides Mamahog (pregnant femaile) and Megahog (giant male) I’ve seen Discohog (runs about and heavy white markings via nightvision so might be marked by neighbours dunno) and an as yet unnamed one who might be female with a white dot on her forehead. So yeah hoggies seem to be doing ok in my neighbourhood which is nice.

Hedgehog