Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Where’d they go??? Reply To: Where’d they go???

Hi, We’ve had a similar experience during the summer. We used to have a population of at least 7 individuals who would come to our feeding boxes. in the past they’ve mysteriously disappeared for up to two weeks at a time, and I’m told hedgehogs do appear to “go on holiday”! However this year they were gone for much longer. In the last week some have started coming again. I can’t be sure that they are the same ones, of course. We’ve not seen any small hoglets, which is disappointing because we’ve been feeding and housing them for 3 years now.
I’ve speculated that possibly in the summer, when natural food is plentiful, they disperse into the surrounding area (where there’s a lot of wild land) and have their young there. They only come back into suburbia when the food starts to dwindle and they decide they want to top up with the stuff we put out before they hibernate.
Anyhow, I hope yours come back soon.

Hedgehog