Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Gigantic slugs ! Reply To: Gigantic slugs !

Hi Nic
Thanks very much for suggestions. Last night I did put a few handfuls of sharp grit around the biscuit dishes. Within 30 minutes 3 of these enormous slugs had slithered over the grit into the biscuits! It obviously didn’t bother them at all.
In desperation I scooped them up on a trowel and threw into a wild (slug friendly) area, and as I closed my door ‘little girlie’ emerged from behind pots and made the most of an undisturbed biscuit meal!
I seem to have had this small hedgehog on a very regular basis for almost a year now. She(?) sniffs the wet food but bypasses those dishes with no interest and only ever eats biscuits. so I am loathe to stop the biscuits.
Don’t think I’ll try the garlic idea as hedgies have such a keen sense of smell and may be bothered by it.
Considering a moat of some sort now ? Will let you know how that works !! 🙂

Hedgehog