Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Minimum size golf hedgehog house. Reply To: Minimum size golf hedgehog house.

I have also read that they prefer having just one entrance to their nest boxes (unlike rats, foxes, badgers and most other creatures, who like having multiple exits to their burrows). I think Nic was referring to feeding boxes having two entrances? Hogs will often encounter each other at feeding boxes so there’s more possibility of conflict, so a second way out isn’t a bad idea.

Nic, I know what you mean about hogs and their choices- I have a very large adult in my garden who regularly puts away ridiculous amounts of food, who seems to have taken up residence in the smallest hog house I have- it’s about 30cm across but it’s a cylinder laid on its side, so has less space than if it had corners. Not that the hog seems to care. As long as they feel secure, that’s the important thing.

In other news, I am pleased to report that this summer’s hoglets have finally put some winter weight on and seem to be almost visibly growing. I’d been worried about them before as they’d stayed pretty small, but at last they seem to be bulking out a bit.

Hedgehog