Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Minimum size golf hedgehog house. Reply To: Minimum size golf hedgehog house.

Nic

Hi CutePInCushion

It should be ok on your patio. Ideally it’s good if there is a bit of cover fairly nearby. But, for instance I keep my feed boxes on my patio and the hog has chosen to use one of them to nest in – and similar has happened before. They need lots of material nearby but will collect it from a nearby border. They do tend to use a bit of green material as well, which they ‘pick’ for themselves.

Don’t worry too much if you don’t have suitable space for more hog houses, the hogs visit several gardens – they can travel up to 2 miles in a night, so there may be other suitable nesting places in the other gardens they visit.

By the way, Kitty878 – it’s only some hogs who like sticking to the outside of the garden. It’s always made me laugh that most of the hogs here mostly use the path! Always have – and that includes ones who didn’t like going into boxes, so real wild hogs.

Hedgehog