Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Which food do you find Hedgehogs prefer Reply To: Which food do you find Hedgehogs prefer

I briefly had a twitter account and followed a hedgehog rescue centre there, called Hedgehog Cabin. They’re very helpful with advice, if anyone us over there.

https://hedgehogcabin.info/feeding

One of the things they were very clear on is what food to give them. They recommended dry kitten food only – Purina I think was top of their list, but Sainsbury’s is also good. (I use it for my hogs, and it’s very good value for money. I mix in some jelly based wet dog food, but that’s only an optional extra). They used to rate Tesco’s kitten food highly, until Tesco’s changed their recipie.

They also recommend avoiding hedgehog food, funny enough. Apparently, hedgehog foods are unregulated, which allows companies to put whatever they like into it – whether it’s good for hedgehogs or not. (Again, apparently, some hedgehog foods contain sunflower hearts and / or mealworms, both of which are bad for hedgehogs. Others are full of sugar, which will cause hedgehogs trouoble with their teeth).

Cat and dog food is regulated, on the other hand. Kitten food is generally seen as best, I believe, because of the high protein content.

Despite popular belief, snails and slugs are only eaten by hogs when they’re desperate and there’s nothing else for them. They carry parasites which will cause lungworm in hedgehogs – without treatment, they’ll die.

Hedgehog