Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Litter question Reply To: Litter question

Nic

Hi Lily of the valley

Don’t worry too much at this stage. Hoglets grow incredibly quickly and they will quite likely have time to put on enough weight before they need to hibernate. Some hoglets even decide not to hibernate, in which case you can just continue to provide food and water. I have had some here in the past and they continued to visit in well minus zero temperatures – only being put off for a couple of nights when the snow was too deep. They continued to grow throughout the winter.

When it comes to the time to weigh them. Take your scales into a light place in the garden so that there is minimal disturbance to the hogs (i.e. you don’t have to take them inside) Then you can scoop them up weigh them and if they are an ok weight immediately let them go again. You might be able to get away with only weighing one if they are about the same size – i.e. if that one is well within the recommended minimum weight for hibernation (450g – but not now – later on).

It is still too early to be thinking about them needing overwintering. Personally I would leave it to ring a hog carer until a bit later on. Your suggestion of mid-November sounds sensible for an initial weighing. If they are below but very close to 450g you can make a decision at that stage, depending on weather conditions, etc.

Just bear in mind that overwintering hoglets with carers is not an easy option. Not all will survive and if possible it is better for them to stay in the wild.

Good luck. Let us know how they get on.

Hedgehog