Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Hedgehog menu Reply To: Hedgehog menu

Nic

I am surprised that a hog rescue is recommending that slightly strange menu for hogs, but perhaps as Daffydill suggests maybe for sick injured hog – not sure about that. But it does feel a bit as if we are going back in time.

Apart from anything else raw beef apparently has a higher Phosphorous ratio than peanuts or sunflower hearts as seen in the information from Vale Wildlife http://www.valewildlife.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Feeding-wild-hedgehogs.pdf

The reputation hogs used to have for eating windfall apples – has more recently been suggested that they were in fact eating the insects attracted by the windfall apples. They will also eat small birds eggs, from ground nesting birds, but obviously not boiled.

Personally I think the information given by BHPS
i.e. “either a good quality meaty hedgehog food, meaty cat or dog food or dry biscuits for cats. TIP: Check meat is first ingredient listed.
Only ever offer water to drink.”

Seems a sensible way to go and also fits in with the information from Vale and Hedgehog Street.

Hedgehog