Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Too early for hibernation? Reply To: Too early for hibernation?

Nic

Hi Keith59, Wren23 and Acer62

Yes, it’s a good idea to at least keep putting food out for a good two weeks after the last hog is seen. If leaving food out all winter, cat/kitten biscuits are probably best because not only can they be left out longer before going off, but also wet food is liable to freeze when it gets really cold. But if the hog has only missed one night, I would leave his normal food out for a while yet.

Some hogs choose not to hibernate and may suddenly turn up unexpectedly. But also hogs are known to come out of hibernation for short periods during hibernation time and even move nests. So it’s a good idea to keep an eye out. I tend to keep my cameras going all through the winter. They probably don’t work quite as well, but are still useful. Then if you aren’t still leaving food out, you could leave some out the next night.

Yes, it’s important to leave water available all day every day, including during winter.

Good luck. I hope all the hogs do well.

Hedgehog